The statutes of Liberia e.V.
L I B E R I A e.V. - Helping people to help themselves
Last amended: 23.05.2017
S T A T U T E S
§ 1 Name, head office, financial year
1. The name of the Association is Liberia – Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe. The Association was registered on August 15, 1994, in the Register of Associations at the Bielefeld Local Court under no. 20 VR 2969. (Registered with the Register of Associations at Essen Local Court under no. 5287 since March 9, 2012) 2. The head office of the Association is in Essen. 3. The financial year coincides with the calendar year.
§ 2 Object of the Association 1. The Association is a non-denominational and politically independent association. Based on the circumstances in Liberia, the focal point of project work at GERLIB CLINIC shall be
- traditional medical treatment
- preventative/prophylactic treatment in the form of comprehensive hygiene, nutrition and maternity counselling
Other activities of the Association shall be
2. to ensure that school-age children get a school education; to ensure support with business start-ups; to ensure support the erection and operating of the Margret Gieraths-Nimene Foundation Inc. (MAGIF) Orphanage. The funds for carrying out these projects will be raised by cash donations, donations in kind and other specifically assigned funds. In this respect, the necessary steps in Germany to achieve these objectives shall be adopted and implemented.
§ 3 Non-profit status
1. The association is non-profit-making and pursues exclusively charitable purposes as defined by the section “Activities entitled to tax relief” of the German Fiscal Code. The funds of the association – including any profits – may only be used for the purposes defined in the articles. The members of the association do not obtain benefits from the funds of the association. No person may benefit from expenditures that are not related to the purpose of the association or from inappropriately high remuneration.
2. In view of its non-profit-making activity in the sector of public health care and the promotion of international understanding, the association (tax no.111/5786/3658) was last recognized by the Essen Nord-Ost. Tax Office on 02.12.2016 as serving charitable purposes.
3. In the event of dissolution or annulment of the association or upon cessation of its hitherto existing purpose, the assets of the association shall be transferred to a corporation under public law or another corporation with tax concessions for the purpose of achieving charitable purposes as defined by these articles.
§ 4 Membership, membership fee
1. Any natural person or legal entity may become a member of the association insofar as they support the objectives of the association ideologically and/or financially. Permission from a legal guardian is required in the case of minors. The initial decision on admission to the association is made by the executive board; the final decision by the following members’ general meeting.
2. Membership ends upon resignation, exclusion or death.
3. Resignation must be made in writing to the executive board or verbally to the members’ general meeting.
4. Members of the association can be excluded by resolution of the members’ general meeting if they are persistently acting in contravention of the interests of the association, damaging the reputation of the association through their behaviour or are in default of payment of the membership fee beyond the current calendar year. In urgent cases, membership rights may be withdrawn by executive board resolution.
5. Each member is required to pay a minimum annual fee. The amount of this fee will be determined by the annual general meeting and shall continue to apply until the annual general meeting has adopted a new resolution. The executive board can decide on fee reductions upon application. The annual membership fee is to be paid by Setptember, 30 of a respective year.
6. Membership to the association as a sponsoring member is also possible in the form of a passive membership. Sponsoring members do not have any voting rights. The minimum annual fee for sponsoring members is determined by the members’ general meeting.
§ 5 Executive bodies The executive bodies of the Association are
1. the members’ general meeting
2. the executive board
§ 6 The members’ general meeting
1. The members’ general meeting is the highest executive body.
2. It has the following responsibilities:
- to elect the executive board
- to check the work of the executive board and – upon receipt of the annual report and the annual financial statements – approve the board’s activities
- to elect the chair of the meeting, the treasurer, cash auditor and secretary
- to adopt resolutions on amendments to the articles of association and dissolution of the association
- to decide on membership and exclusion.
3. The members’ general meeting meets at least once a year. The invitation shall be made by the executive board by written announcement with notice of one month. Upon written application by 10 percent of the members, the board must call an extraordinary members’ meeting for precisely that purpose.
4. The members’ general meeting constitutes a quorum and may adopt resolutions with the members who are present. Decisions on applications, membership and exclusion are made by simple majority, on amendments to the articles by absolute majority (2/3 majority) and on dissolution with 3/4 majority of the members present.
5. The secretary shall draw up minutes of the members’ general meeting which is to be signed by all members of the executive board and forwarded to all other members of the association.
§ 7 Executive board
1. The executive board consists of a first and second chairperson. They are each authorized to represent the association on their own. The members of the executive board must be members of the association. The executive board shall be elected by the members’ general meeting for a period of two years.
§ 8 Dissolution of the association
1. The association can only be dissolved with the agreement of 3/4 of members present at an extraordinary meeting which has been convened precisely for this purpose. Resolutions by the members’ meeting on dissolving the association which are made in respect of the future appropriation of assets pursuant to Section 61 II Fiscal Code (“Abgabenordnung”) may only be executed upon approval by the respective tax office.